Old 09-14-21, 10:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I have nothing to add regarding Mikes/Spesh fall out. But I wll add that when we had an order of top tier Rockhoppers that were supposed spec'd with disc brakes show up with base model single piston mechanical brakes, we were told to "like it or lump it." We tried to get compensated, we tried warranty return. In all cases, Specialized delivered a product substandard to that which we ordered & is not inclined to make make right.
Make of that what you will.

Lifetime warranty on frames now only apply if the customer themselves go online & register their bike through the Specialized web page. Elsewise manufacturer defects are only covered for 2 years. Requiring consumer action for what at purchase time is an abstract concept significantly reduces corporate liabilities & limits consumer protections.

E-bikes are only warrantied if the customer registers through an app they downloaded to their phone. No doubt their app contains a lengthy list of permissions designed to monetize customer data as another revenue stream. Using an app for the ANGI helmet impact sensor was the first foray into the customer data capture practice I became aware of. No thanks, I already have enough consumer data faucets in my life. It seems that the passive, holistic approach didn't yield as much data as they wanted & a more force was necessary. "You want a warranty? We need to monetize realtime data."

Some high end products are now not even available to LBS's. Certain halo products like some models of Roval wheels or any S-works bike for example.

No, I don't mean like: "You can't stock item "x"."

I mean like: "We, Specialized will not allow you, the LBS, to order an item even if a customer comes through you brick & morter door with cash in hand. Customer "x" can only order product "y" online from Specialized directly. If product "y" is a bike that must be assembled, then 80% is retained with Specialized."

What that means to the LBS is on a hypothetical halo-grail bike that traditionaly retails for $11,000 whereby the LBS usual out of pocket cost were to be ~$6000 to even get the bike in-store, $5000 remained to run the business. Of the $5000 remaining, to run a business with, Specialized now takes an additional $4000 of it out of the LBS. Leaving the LBS with $1000 to run the shop with, build the bike, deal with the customer, etc...The LBS profit on grail bike now measures into the hundreds.

It also means the draw & status of having a grail bike in store is now extinguished. The ability of the customer to go on a test ride is now diminished. The opportunity of an impulse sale is now gone. The consumer has less choice. The consumer has less information to make an informed purchase decision. The LBS loses opportunity.

In addition: Set pricing where the LBS has no control over the sale price of an item, combined with the price a shop can get an item for through the dealer network, moreorless determines a shops margin. Specialized has been squeezing the shops on the dealer end & sucking up their margin on all other items. Raising the allowable sale price of an item to the highest price the market will bear, but raising the shop acquisition cost even more.

Specialized is a pack of sharks. Sharks feeding on your local bike shop.

It's no wonder Mikes Bike moved on to warmer waters. I wish 'em luck. We can't afford to not carry Specialized, but we have been looking to carry a lot less & fill in the gaps with offerings from other brands. Thus far the European offerings we picked up during the pandemic have treated us well. Maybe there will be more in the future.
As I said upthread, that’s a storyline more than 20 years in the making with Specialized, so it’s an utter lie for Mike’s to say they “definitely did not expect this situation.”