cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I’m not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons of specific novel features or of bike evolution generally. I’m just imagining what a state of the art bicycle might look like ten years from now, whether we feel good, bad, or indifferent about it.

Here’s what I think is coming (along with my prediction on each feature’s likelihood):

- (Very likely) Anti-lock brakes. Should be easy enough with everything going to hydraulic discs. You just need to add some wheel speed sensors, a computer, a little valve and motor on each caliper, and a power source. This might not be a totally pointless feature. Many will argue it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist--perhaps that’s true. Regardless, I will be surprised if it does not appear in the next several years.

- (Probable) Tire pressure monitoring system. ...

- (Possibly?) Rear-view camera and cockpit display (probably integrated with the cycling computer, which is already becoming more of a multi-functional display). Garmin Varia radar already gives an audible and visual indication, but it only shows that there is a vehicle (or two or more vehicles) approaching, with a relative indication of their distance and speed. A camera will let the rider remain facing forward and see a lot more detail. Is it a dump truck that’s weaving all over the road and flinging dirt and rocks everywhere? Just a Mini Cooper two lanes to the left? Technology to do this already exists and would just have to be refined/adapted for bikes.

- (Hopefully)...while not becoming outrageously expensive.

What do you folks think? What predictions would you add to the list?
Genius ! You pronounce and it's instantly done... LOL!
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/ma...onitor-review/

yeah, visual area surround monitoring is prolly gonna happen... I'm gonna bet on a glasses Heads-up display from some bluetooth like combo unit - good reason to have those super-kool shades - and a great way to take sunglasses into the i-phone-13+ price range... LOL!

come on... 'Outrageously expensive' is the key operative for cycling... lock-step together

My predictions - Crapon wheels in Walmart... and they'll be exact dupes of stuff we're now paying $1+ - 2+K + for... (might already be there...)
ABS should absolutely happen !!! and be very beneficial for everyone, especially razors... but will be ludicrously expensive for the 1st few seasons.
a prediction - not sure about 10 years... but given some time frame - active suspension for road/gravel/mtb/even 'work'/transport bike, which is NOT some heavy coil spring-oil based Ohlins boinger....
A lot will depend on The Imperious Overlord - UCI - for competition level stuff... and the filter-down to us in the great un-washed...
Save Us !!! Obree Wan !
Yuri - (what fun!)

EDIT : oops, just saw post #2... wondering how much it all weighs - not weight-weenie - but out-of-balance weight does sometimes go 'lump-a-bump' when rolling...
an aside... Graeme is 'genius', everything he's ever worked out/done has come to pass, in some form... 'superman' to 'supertuck' and again outlawed...
and was the highest of class rider !
persistence will win out - as it always seems to; 'evolution' is inevitable - unless we do ourselves in or are helped by the SMOD....

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-12-21 at 06:14 PM.