Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
It gets no popularity I know, but there's only ONE dyno choice for me. SA XL-FDD dyno with DRUM brake. ZERO adjustments, little cleaning service and NO worries. It only costs around $120 and basically comes with FREE brakes that go 30,000 miles. Outlasting at least 3 disc pad sets or 5 rim pads. Rim brakes in winter are laughable anyway. The plug is rather dainty. I never noticed a speck of overheating either. Try that with a 160 mm disc.

Mine has black Dyad rims with 2.3/2.0 spokes and 700c x 36 mm tires. The first one I did 3 cross, not a good idea but still zero spokes broke. 2 cross is way better. After 8 years and 28,000 miles it still looks like new, just lost the alu shine. The elec side bearing went at 17,000 miles. Yah, it weighs twice as much, so what. My Edelux has been on 100% of the time. What drag?? It has done over 45 mph several times. 2 tours on a 120 lb bike for 8,100 miles. I do dozens of day rides over 100 miles, longest was 133.6 miles with a SA XL-RD5w in 12.4 hours clock.

I've had a SP PV8 on one of my bikes for many years and like it very much. I'd certainly list that as my number 1 choice if I buy another. I've also used a Shimano dyno for a few years on a commuting bike, but have to say that I wasn't all that impressed. Like GamblerGORD53, I too have put many miles on Sturmey drum brake hubs (mine were the 70mm version though) and I would recommend them highly for an all weather commuting bike. They are a bit heavy, and the RD5w hub is a bit ornery, but they are incredibly reliable and a bargain at that.