Old 01-01-22, 10:25 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
However, I can offer no explanation as to why 100 + 0 mph takes so much more power than 50 + 50, when relative wind speed seem to be all that matters. Imo they should be MUCH closer.
Tbh, I have a suspicion its an anomaly/mistake in the calculator.

bikecalculator.com/
Simple. It’s just noting the difference between force and power.

Relative wind speed is what determines the force of air drag acting on bike and rider. But to require power (the rate at which you are doing work) that force must act through a distance and the faster it moves (higher velocity) against that force the more power is needed.

Examples:
1) there is a 30 mph wind. If I just stand there on my bike at the appropriate angle, there is some force acting on me, but I don’t move myself and the bike, so I do no work.

2) 15 mph headwind but I ride into it at 15 mph. Same force is acting on me and the bike with the same relative speed but I’m moving at 15 mph against that force. That takes a considerable amount of work. For me it’s probably in the neighborhood of 350 watts because don’t ride low and am not very aero

3) still air and I manage to ride (briefly) at 30 mph. Same force is acting on me and bike but I’m moving 30 mph against that force requiring twice as much power as 2). Might be 700 watts, explaining why it would be only a brief moment.

Does that help?

Otto
Likes For ofajen: