Old 01-24-22, 12:48 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
dunno the quality of roads nearby but sounds like you've been crushing it on the current rig/setup. congrats on
the life priorities/riding changes!

the new(ish) carbon stuff is pretty dayum smooth, no two ways about it. my question for you is:

if you did buy a new(ish) carbon frame/bike, would you have more time, less time or same amount of time for riding?

unless you're coming into a substantial increase of time involved in riding your bike (empty nesting, retirement, etc, et al),
i'd be more tempted to stick with the current rig with maybe a component upgrade if necessary. a new frame/bike is sexy until it becomes
the usual. how long does that take? 3-6 months? a year? guess it depends on riding frequency and personal preference.

you can get a lighter bike/frame, better gearing, and/or get in better shape. maybe all three. maybe one. maybe two. my experience
has been to take the current rig as far as you can before considering upgrades. losing 5-10 lbs of belly fat is worth one-two spaces on the cassette.
a dream machine will possibly increase the range but make the legs "softer."

ps...i'm the same exact age.

Last edited by diphthong; 01-24-22 at 12:55 AM.