Old 03-11-22, 07:05 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
Does the 115" baggage maximum only apply to only SOME airlines or it it some sort of industry regulated standard? I cannot find any mention of a 115" linear dimension standard on Southwest airlines. I would like to check by bicycle in an AMTRAK Box on a flight this upcoming May. It would be about 50 lbs. and 120 (rounded) linear inches. SWA public policy is confusing as subject to more than one interpretation. ..... "The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $75 each way charge.

Bicycles (defined as nonmotorized and having a single seat) properly packed in a bicycle box or hard-sided case from 51 to 100 pounds in weight or 62 to 80 inches in total dimensions will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item. Pedals and handlebars must be removed and packaged in protective materials so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to other Baggage. Bicycles packaged in cardboard or soft sided cases will be transported as limited release items. Bicycles over 100 pounds in weight AND 81 inches in total dimensions cannot be checked as baggage and can only be shipped as Cargo if the Customer is a known Shipper". (capitalization added by author)

I have called SWA twice and received two different interpretations. One help agent interpreted as bicycles EITHER over 100 lbs OR 81 inches would not be accepted. Another interpreted it as bicycle BOTH over 100 lbs. AND 81 inches would not be accepted. I have personally shipped a boxed box (last November) that was just under 50 lbs. and 91linear inches with no problem for a fee of $75. The box was accepted as checked baggage at the counter as was not weighed or measured.

Anybody have any insights or experiences with SWA?

Thanks...
I had the same situation a few years ago with interpreting United's policy at that time. I ended up going out to the airport a few weeks early at the same approximate time that the plane was to leave and talked with the senior check in agent as I figured if there was a discrepancy, that is who I would be speaking with come the actual check in time. I got my answer and her name and noted the time and date. Sure enough, when I got to the airport with my unboxed but padded and taped bike, I had to speak with the same senior agent who remembered me and approved my bike "packing". They wheeled the bike out and it arrived fine in Calgary for my next adventure.

My point is that it might be worth a trip out to the airport to see what the actual decision maker says.

Tailwinds, John