View Single Post
Old 06-06-22, 12:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
This flies right in the face of the very satisfying experience of going to a shop, checking out different bikes, maybe riding a couple, getting advice, and then putting that brand new machine in the back of your car right then and there. No comparison. What you are suggesting is to move to the "pick out your car and wait for the factory to build it" model that has not worked well in the automotive industry.
The chances of an LBS having the bike I want, in the right size and right spec sitting ready to go are very close to zero. In fact I've never had that experience in the last 30 years! I've always ended up with the shop having to order the bike in for me in the right size/spec and I'm not even super fussy or an extreme size. The shop advice received can range from very useful to complete horse crap and everything in between. I do miss the proper test ride experience that some shops used to offer i.e. borrow for the weekend, not just a useless ride up and down the parking lot. But most shops here now don't really do proper test rides. You actually get a better test ride when buying online due to our distance selling laws i.e. usually 30 days return.

All my current bikes were bought direct online. The Giant Defy came from an LBS that wasn't local to me. The two Canyons factory direct.

Last edited by PeteHski; 06-06-22 at 12:38 PM.