Old 02-14-11, 05:45 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keith99
You are on the small side and it fits? Go for it. Now if you were an uberclyde I'd say be carefull as the geometry is not as strong. That does not seem important, unless you are planning on going off jumps with it.
Mine certainly fits me well, mainly due to me having fairly short arms and legs. The low top tube makes dismounting easy. For example, on my route I walk across a footbridge, and tend to hook one leg through the frame while still moving, then jump off once I've slowed to walking pace. The frame is heavier than an equivalent diamond frame due to the tubing being larger and thicker to cope with the compromise in geometry, but unless you're racing it doesn't really matter much.

I never bought into the idea that step throughs are for women, and diamond frames are for men and women. Rather like the similar imbalance with clothing (the Scots had the right idea) step-through frames actually make more sense for men as there's less chance of an injury if you slide off the saddle, since there's nothing in the way.