Old 08-27-19, 12:29 PM
adipe

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Adipe, you are making this way too complicated. You say you cut the rim tape.... I think you probably cut a plastic rim strip and the sharp edge worked your tube and cut into it.
This may happen when cutting a tube to use as a rim strip as well. May not happen right away, but might chaff on the tube and make a hole.
Use Stan's Tubeless tape, Kapton packing tape (available anywhere), cloth tape, or correct size rim strip. Gorilla tape or gaffer tape could work as well.
Don't try to re-invent the wheel.
ghost punctures, crap being able to enter inside the tire because it is not very well sealed at the interface with the rim.
and i cut the tape because it was already irregular and it could not work.

the rim in under higher compression than what is written in the books.
i have my reasons to choose so, the wheel is solid and i will not have it otherwise. it just needs a bit thicker tape than usual.
the most available solution is what i asked about... if maybe... maybe... anybody knows better if it has proven to work or opinion about it - maybe better than a standard rim tape... or not.

i did not ask for opinions of people like you but from people in the know.
in the meantime i managed to explain perhaps all the reasons, i was not interested to show myself being wise but i had no choice but do so after being ridiculed by amateurs in mechanics. i was in no mood to explain the details today, i rather wanted to have answers for my question and not offtopic.

the tape being cut is not something i could ever regret because it was already irregular and the tire was not straight at all on the rim to begin with because of that.

this bike i had worked to bring back to life after the former owner(s) had it's wheels in such a shape you would not imagine.
and the last owner was not cheap. the LBS situation around here is horrendous. i know better about wheels than most guys around here, including you.

read again what is bold above and see about what is happening with the friction between all kinds of surfaces, especially when small dust goes in. the wheel needs a tighter interface.
the tubes they sell around here could be as old as 10 years and nobody takes blame for selling bad stuff.

i'm trying to help myself and people who might read this thread, those who would have one or more of the problems i had and am about to fix. don't address me saying there is nothing to "re-invent".
in fact i am not inventing anything, i am just discovering what others already know but have not written as to me having luck finding by google etc.

did you know that crap can enter the tire and that tubeless is dangerous in sand because of that?
did you know that WTB recommends for tubeless tape of such width that climbs up on the sidewalls? they don't explain all the why's.
"WTB recommends using tape that is 5mm wider than your inner rim width."

i am not making it complicated, i am trying to reduce towards zero what you would think to be impossible: abrasive crap going in the tire when riding. it's the cause of the higher frequencies of (ghost) punctures in winter.

Last edited by adipe; 08-27-19 at 12:36 PM.