SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by ArgoMan
I accept that carbon is just fine for many stressful applications, if not better than alloys. My concern is not with that, but with the manufacturers. In my experience, many Chinese products are, well, less than satisfactory. And so many of the carbon frames are made in China. It just makes me a bit doubtful. We can say, "look how carbon is used in such stressful applications." And that's true. But my concern was that the forks/frames are not being manufactured correctly. I think my fears may be overblown. I'm seeing some nice frames. Have you guys seen the "VeloBuildMall" website? Seems like nice stuff!
Nowadays, Chinese manufacturing runs the gamut from the cutting edge to the not quite acceptable to Western standards. (But judging from the horror stories, even some Tesla Model 3s made in Fremont are not quite acceptable to Western standards!) If you are concerned, buy from a major brand and/or a frame that is made in Taiwan. As with most things in life, there are no guaranties, but mass production of CF frames was pioneered in Taiwan and by now is a very mature industry.

Where has my bicycle been made? (bike-advisor.com)

I found the above list but cannot vouch for its accuracy. Best you go examine a few CF frames in person.