Old 06-22-22, 02:40 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 1,042 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I am green with envy! Long have I hoped to find a Roma for myself. The top dog Legnano is, perhaps, the only Grail bike on my list. The OP is, indeed, fortunate.

I am a die hand Legnano fan! I have owned two, both Grand Premios, and loved them both. I still have my Grand Premio and have had it for many years. I bought it as a frame/fork set and have been acquiring Legnano specific bits and pieces ever since.

What bits and pieces did I pick up for my Legnano..?

An embossed Legnano head set...

A NOS Legnano crank set and bottom bracket...

A nice set of Legnano Campy high flange hubs,,,

And a Legnano steering stem (sorry no pic).

It has been a true pleasure getting my Leggy fitted out with all of these components. Sadly, my old legs are no match for the narrow and high gearing of the bike...

I might add that I will be buying another Grand Premio on Monday and for the paltry sum of $20.00 CND. Mind you, it is rusty and does sport a bent frame and fork. But for the twenty dollars I get a set of Universal 61 brakes (calipers and levers), a proper Legnano seat post clamp bolt, a rear brake cable hanger, another steering stem and, lucky me, a lovely Legnano head badge. I will add a pic or two when I get it home.
I envy you in that you could ride a Legnano from the 60s back. I'm not sure if Legnano started making smaller frames in the 70s, or if this was a custom build, but I may never know. I do know that factory frames were no smaller than 55cm, leaving me and my short legs in the cold.
Also, that's an amazing collection of parts you've amassed. Hopefully you'll find the bike you're looking for.