Old 06-24-22, 07:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I'm not sure why you are focused on speed. But when I'm riding (and this is probably the same for the majority of folks) there comes a point (usually a hill climb) where either the legs want to give out or the lungs want to give it out (or sometimes both) which is the physical indicator that a person should shift to an easier gear. Or if riding on the flats and the pedaling is too easy or the cadence is super high...it's another physical indicator to shift to a harder gear. This isn't that difficult and you don't need an indicator to tell you when do these things. Your body tells you. This is a no brainer common sense thing...well at least for some.

I was reminded last night on our group road ride, where we were rolling along at 25 mph for 8 miles, that having to look at a gear indicator or at your cassette for a split second could result in a crashy experience. Keep an eye on the bike in front of you and shift as needed according to what your body is telling you.

This is what is wrong with your entire "you should" approach to this thread--OP isn't going to be going 25 mph in a group ride, they're riding a recumbent and are more concerned with being in the right gear at stoplights. They find the markings useful in doing this. You and I wouldn't. That doesn't make them wrong.

OP wasn't asking what's right for the majority of folks. Seriously, who but marketers GAF about that? OP wanted a feature that you and I don't care about, and was given some pretty good advice about a work around, but you seem to feel better about yourself if you can scold OP for asking the question.