View Single Post
Old 08-24-22, 03:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Not to inflame an already heated discussion. It would be good for people to reference more authoritative work. For example Wilson's Bicycling Science is a great source. Here are figures for (1) rim temperature increase during constant braking versus speed and (2) terminal velocity versus %slope. From these graph 1 you see for constant braking to maintain 40 MPH, a single bike does not heat rims more than 50C even on a 20% slope. My concern would be temperature increases closer to 100C (melting temperature of butyl rubber, 120C). I have been concerned of late with this on a tandem since we often bike in mountains. For a tandem, >10% slope can cause temperature increases that are much higher. Wilson does not mention pulsing brakes. I have heard anecdotal talk that pulsing does allow air flow between pad and rim/disc to prevent brake pad melting.
While I admire Dr. Wilson’s work, I think he has drawn a wrong conclusion in this case. He seems to assume that the temperature decreases with speed is due to the increase airflow. However, he neglects the effect of the brakes on the rim itself. On a 20% slope (or any slope for that matter) maintaining a slower speed requires more of the forward momentum to be converted to heat than does a faster speed. You can’t maintain close to terminal velocity with the brakes on as hard as they would be at 20 mph. The temperature increase at slower speed would be friction related rather than related to the air flow. At higher speed, there is a lower temperature increase above ambient because there isn’t any friction being put into the system.

He makes the statement “…going fast avoids heating the rim unless emergency braking has to be applied, in which case the danger of overheating the rim is sudden and serious.” The problem with that statement is that if you are going 60 mph, you aren’t using the brakes so the heat being put into the system is zero. Hard application of the brakes to slow for some reason would be transitory and would not cause the temperature of the system to rise to the same level as if the brakes were being used to maintain a given speed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!