View Single Post
Old 08-26-22, 12:27 PM
tessellahedron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
So, if I were to toss a bike out of a skydiving plane, it would see acceleration and a change in barometric pressure, along with an increase in wind speed, and read power without me actually being on the bike, pedaling?
sure but the power would be hella negative, just like coasting down the road they built on Everest. I have no idea what the actual power meter would show you. Non military GPS systems are slightly crippled for security's sake. They're programmed not to function above a certain speed or altitude. I thought it was 10,000ft but there are mountains west of here taller than that where people hike so I dunno.

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Look at the tall weeds, leaves at the tops of trees.
There are very few trees here and tall grass definitely doesn't work. By the time the wind is high enough to produce visible waves in the crops that show its direction its strong enough that I definitely don't need the indicator.

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I like windfinder.com for checking out wind conditions. Shows what is going on in real time and allows you to look forward to any time of day. I ride in the area shown below and the wind direction as well as speed can vary quite a lot. Sometimes I'll adjust the route I take based on what is going on that day. Not sure I see the point of being able to measure the wind speed once you're in it.

Windfinder.com! Thank you!

sailflow.com and windy.com were also mentioned. So some good came of this thread. I'm going to see if using those sites can help me avoid wind and not care about it when I am out biking.