Old 03-02-18, 01:14 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The idea is, i guess, that you start off riding to work because you can't afford a car...
Not me. I drove from the git-go as a young adult. When I was in 10th grade my father bought me an old chevy panel truck for $200 that barely ran for me to work on as part of an auto-mechanics course at my high school. I fixed it over the winter. It was pretty cheap to own and operate back when gas was well under 50 cents a gallon. That's what I drove to work once I had a job a significant distance from home. I was "into bicycles" in those days too but I was also a teenager with a chevy panel truck that had shag carpet in the back (date machine)

I'm sure my truck was a serious fire hazard. It needed a fuel pump but I was too cheap to buy one for the first year or so. I mounted a two-gallon gas tank on the hood and ran gravity-fed gasoline down to the carburetor Frequent gas stops needless to say. I also carried a five gallon tank in the back that I could refill with I could probably have gotten by without all that but I thought it was a cool idea and ran with it.

I spent my 20s mostly driving and then started commuting to work by bicycle when I was about 30 and had a wife and daughter at home (no more picking up girls).

Last edited by Walter S; 03-02-18 at 01:22 PM.