View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 04:55 PM
swin1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by motogeek
Did you clear cote over the decals or put them on over the clear? Looks really nice, SWIN!!!
Clear coat OVER the decals on this one. I have a nice Vitus frame decal I'll put on after the paint cures. I'm now thinking it's probably best to clear over transfers which are very thin and then add thicker stickers after clear. So for this frame would have put on the head tube and seat tube stickers AFTER clear. I've added a second coat of clear and now it's coming up very nicely. I'll post another pic when it's cured and I've installed the BB/headset/fork.

This frame was a bit of a practice run for painting; I have agreed to buy a Raleigh Team Pro frame which needs a full repaint, which I'm much more confident I can paint myself now after the Motobecane. Note this is all done with spray cans, but the sandblaster I use also does 2 pack primer as the undercoat so this Moto had a good base to start with. Also, you can now buy 2 pack clear in a can so you're part of the way to a professional job albeit the quality of the color paint and the thickness of the spray! The clear comes out quite thick and hides most of the imperfections though. I wouldn't be doing all this with metallic finishes, but works well with flat colors I think.

Last edited by swin1; 06-24-17 at 05:08 PM.