View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 09:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
The shoe covers in the photo were made by Gore, do not remember the exact model. That day was in the 40s (F), rode most of the day in light rain on a gravel road.

Rainpants were a REI model that is no longer sold, had long side zips so I could put the rain pants on over the shoes. They have to be sized large enough so that bending the knees while pedaling does not pull the bottoms up above the shoe cover. I prefer suspenders for rain pants, they are not constantly sliding down. But the disadvantage of suspenders is they have to go under your rain jacket and probably under any other jackets you are wearing.

I had long cycling pants under the rainpants.

The shoes I was wearing are a summer type shoe that is well vented, so not really a good shoe for that temp. But I got lucky at an REI scratch and dent sale, they are rougly one size bigger than my regular size and they fit perfectly with a thick pair of insulated socks. I use these shoes down to freezing. But below freezing I wear hiking boots or Merrill waterproof hiking shoes.

If you might have to step in a puddle with cycle shoes that have cleat holes in the bottom that leak in any water from the puddle, some people use water proof socks. Sealskinz (spell?) is a common brand, I got some Dexshell waterproof socks. So far I have not had to step in a puddle, but having waterproof socks on makes me less fearful of doing so. I wear some liner socks under the waterproof socks when I wear them.

Obviously a rain cover on the helmet. I would also be wearing an insulated ear band over my ears.

At that temperature, for me that is borderline between ski goggles and Bolle Tracker sunglasses that are like a cross between goggles and sunglasses. The Bolle glasses in the photo below. The elastic band around the back is over a knob on my helmet, that is not apparent in the photo. If I stop for a minute, they will fog up a bit, but quickly clear out when rolling again. I usually only use these in the range of about 35 to 45 degrees, maybe up to 50 if it started out cool.

In the photo above, I am wearing a neck gaitor, keeps the wind off my neck and makes my head a bit warmer.

I am intentionally silent on gloves and rain jackets, as there are tons of good ones out there and mine are good but nothing special.

Photo below was regular yellow safety glasses with a bifocal insert so I can read my GPS, but that was in the upper 40s for temp.

Likes For Tourist in MSN: