View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 09:06 AM
B.U.F.F.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fat Guy Wanting a Nicer Bike

Hey there, this is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong place, my bad. Anyhow, I've recently got back into cycling, last year I bought a Jamis Coda S2 used and found out I missed riding. I typically do about 15-18 mile rides 4x a week, but I've been having issues with the bike and I'm pretty sure it's due to my weight. Last year I broke numerous spokes on both rear and front wheels, after replacing them (and subsequently breaking them) I just bought a new wheelset. Fast-forward to two days ago and I realized one of my spokes while riding was super loose. I took it to the shop and they're going to do a tune on it, but my bike is down until the 28th.

And now I'm bored to death. I don't know what to do till then, however, I have thought of buying a second bike, just for situations like this, and keeping the Jamis as a back up. I am eyeing a used 2017 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport, but their website says it has a structural weight limit of 240lbs, and I am 300lbs. Also, the 20H and 24H wheelset that comes with it does inspire confidence that it would bear my weight. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a very nice bike, but if I have to spend another $300+ on a wheelset, it just seems silly.