View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 10:04 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B.U.F.F.
Hey there, this is my first post, so if I'm in the wrong place, my bad. Anyhow, I've recently got back into cycling, last year I bought a Jamis Coda S2 used and found out I missed riding. I typically do about 15-18 mile rides 4x a week, but I've been having issues with the bike and I'm pretty sure it's due to my weight. Last year I broke numerous spokes on both rear and front wheels, after replacing them (and subsequently breaking them) I just bought a new wheelset. Fast-forward to two days ago and I realized one of my spokes while riding was super loose. I took it to the shop and they're going to do a tune on it, but my bike is down until the 28th.

And now I'm bored to death. I don't know what to do till then, however, I have thought of buying a second bike, just for situations like this, and keeping the Jamis as a back up. I am eyeing a used 2017 Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport, but their website says it has a structural weight limit of 240lbs, and I am 300lbs. Also, the 20H and 24H wheelset that comes with it does inspire confidence that it would bear my weight. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a very nice bike, but if I have to spend another $300+ on a wheelset, it just seems silly.
At your weight you HAVE to have 32 spoke wheels. I suggest DT Suisse. With your weight you have to be careful with any of the so-called top end bikes since they all have ridiculous weight restrictions. So look for cyclocross bikes which had wider tire clearance and frames that are built to take more weight and pounding. STAY AWAY from carbon fiber bikes. Aluminum such as the Trek Alpha series of the Emonda ALR. I'm not particularly heavy at 190 plus the bike and accessory weights but I have a Trek Alpha 1.5 that has an aluminum fork that rides quite well though aluminum bikes are a bit noisy with control cables ringing against the tubes. If you lose some weight there are some nice steel custom bikes and Salsa is a stock steel bike that rides well and doesn't have weight restrictions.

But at your weight you're going to continue to have wheel problems and you just have to get used to watching your wheels closely unless you're running 32 mm tires.