View Single Post
Old 06-24-22, 04:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by WillBradley1
On the tub discussion… can anyone clarify why glue is better than tape? I’ve only ever used tape and it’s so easy and fast, pre stretch them when you buy them but then it’s instant to fix. Can’t see why you would faff around with glue.
The tape pre-Tufo was prone to melting in hot weather. I rolled a tire (going slow and uphill so it was no big deal) on a hot summer day in Boston. Hot but not Arizona or climate change hot. Stopped using tape that ride. Went to Tubasti: a glue that never goes fully hard. This means on the road tire changes stick reasonably well. I never cleaned the rims. I trust a rim with plenty of build up of that stuff.

I stopped using tubulars before I ever heard of Tufo. Now, it's either back to a system I know very well (and Tubasti hasn't changed a bit) or learn a whole new one. Tubasti served me for 25 years. As long as I can get it, why change?
Likes For 79pmooney: