View Single Post
Old 08-08-22, 07:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What is a "societal norm"? What isn't?

Yes.

Seriously, this thread is a really good example of what's wrong with A&S.
Obviously, any bicyclist who goes through an intersection blindly on a red light is going to be at fault for getting hit by cross traffic that is proceeding on a green light. There could be some contributory fault if the driver was speeding excessively, which will foreseeably make the consequences of any collision worse, but there's really no evidence that that's the case here.

Just as obviously, there is a statutory duty to stop after hitting someone, regardless of fault. It is wrong to violate this law. Up until this thread, I have never heard anyone seriously question whether there should be such a law, and whether we have the option of ignoring it if we don't think it's fair because it wasn't our fault.

In other words, the legal and moral answers to the issues in this are completely mundane and obvious.
For some reason, people seem to want to have a "hot take" to discuss even if they have to ascribe arguments to other people that they are not making, or they need to adopt crazy takes on the law that I really don't think they'd be espousing if they were hit or they hit someone..