rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The whole point of the flash/strobe/flare is to command attention from what would otherwise be in a drivers peripheral vision & not yet be worthy of consideration from the drivers perspective...A classic example is driver fixing to approach an arterial from a business or apartment complex, etc... The driver really isn't in a position to make an informed decision yet about how far or whether to enter the right of way yet. The point is to command an awareness before they get too far. They can then decide to act accordingly.

The strobe is an evolutionary survival response to drivers disregard when the law states that they must stop before entering a thoroughfare. The sidewalk is a thorough fare. The bike lane is a thoroughfare. That's 2 complete stops & 2 complete verifications that the intended travel path is free & clear for safe travel before approaching the street to which they intend to use. To which they must stop and verify a 3rd time before deciding to enter the "traffic" flow.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I don't know any drivers that do this properly. And if I'm being completely honest, it's probably cultural to disregard the safety of others, the law of any kind & shun any/all responsibility while behind the wheel at this this point. Nevertheless my point remains: The strobe is to command a second look & awareness from complacent drivers who are not yet in a position to make an informed decision about safe operation of their vehicles.
I do a lot of 30-40 MPH descents in wooded areas with lots of shadows, especially this time of year and into winter. I use the flasher to be seen primarily by people pulling out of their driveways or the side roads. My lite is bright but it is nothing compared to my halogen Cygolite, with low, high, and flashing light. That light was super bright and it sure worked for commuting on MUPs in the middle of no where in the dark. Would use my hand to shield oncoming cyclists from it. I would guess in a straight line it was visible oncoming for 3 miles. I always take care to aim all front lights from blinding oncoming vehicles.