View Single Post
Old 10-18-10, 01:10 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
How do I "know"? Because I am a gun owner that regularly shoots my guns. I am familiar with all the guns I own and can operate them in the dark without much thought.

There are many stories of gun owners assaulted in various ways only to retreive their gun and shoot their attacker. It happens in many home invasion robberies.

Here are some stories for you:

Ipswich Chronicle, Ipswich, MA, 7/9/98 State: MA
American Rifleman Issue: 10/1/1998
David Ellis, a city councilor for Lynn, Massachusetts, was on his bicycle conducting a midnight crime patrol when he spotted four men harassing an elderly woman in her car. Moving to intervene, Ellis confronted the men, then began to use his cell phone to call for help. The men charged, knocking Ellis off his bike, kicking him in the head and yelling, "Kill him!" Ellis reacted by pulling a .357 Mag. handgun and firing into the group. He then ran to a nearby house and called police. Two of the four were later caught and charged with armed robbery.

The Sentinel, Orlando, FL, 10/18/97
State: FL
American Rifleman Issue: 4/1/1998
Peter Sabatini of Orlando was riding his bicycle one afternoon when he was attacked by a youth armed with what later turned out to be a pellet pistol. The attacker threatened him with the gun and tried to take the bike. Fearing for his life, Sabatini, a carry permit holder, drew his .45 pistol and fatally shot his assailant. The youth had a criminal history.

The Times, Seattle, WA, 4/12/90
State: WA
American Rifleman Issue: 6/1/1990
A Seattle, Wash., man was riding his bicycle when he saw a group of 20 to 30 young people standing along the street. The bicyclist crossed the steet to avoid them, but some of the group pursued and attacked him. They pulled him off the bicycle, knocked him to the ground and continued to beat him. The man drew his registered handgun and shot one of the youths to halt the attack. The wounded attacker, who was identified by police as a teen gang member, fled but was later apprehended by police and charged with assault.
I'm not asking about you personally. I'm asking how you know about most gun carriers?

Of the muggings I'm talking about, no one has been killed. In your 1st and 3rd incidents, the guys knew going in they were in dangerous situations. In the second, the very likely outcome of not having gun would have been a stolen bicycle instead of a dead kid.

Last edited by tjspiel; 10-18-10 at 03:02 PM.