Old 02-12-21, 10:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think the bigger problem is that the 20-min test is not administered correctly. Too often, people do just 20 min, and take 95% of that. But the original 20-min. test is much more complex:

1. Start out with a 20-minute warm-up, at about 65% of your max heart rate (HR)
2. Next do three fast-pedaling efforts at 100 rpm for one minute each, with one minute of easy recovery pedaling between each set
3. Ride 5 minutes all out. Punch it and hold it! Start at a high pace, but not so high that you die at the end. You should have a little energy held in reserve to kick it toward the finish line in the last minute.
4. Ride 10 minutes easy at endurance pace.
5. 20-minute time trial.
Then take 95% of that 20-min effort.

How many people are doing steps 1-4?

I kinda of agree that I don't really buy that as realistic. If I do 5 minutes all out, that's quite literally all I'm doing. My entire body tends to be jammed up after that. Like, eyeballs cramping. Now my five minute power isn't what it once was, but I can't wrap my head around putting out 405 for five (which I used to be able to do), doing five minutes z2/z3 and then ripping off an even modest 20 minute test, never mind one in the 330s (which I could do in the time period).

The import of this stuff is setting training zones. Too much hand wringing to my mind.

Last edited by gsteinb; 02-12-21 at 10:50 AM.