View Single Post
Old 01-26-22, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I doubt we'd have to look far to find examples of police officers who would hold that view. And there are sadly likely occasional traffic court judges who would uphold them.

But if someone pursues the issue on appeal, no the actual legal system as a whole isn't going to find reliance on sharrows for positioning an unreasonable action.

This street level conflict of judgement is one of the reasons why FRAP laws need to be repealed - a Massachusetts style law that says you can use the full lane on any road where you're allowed to be present at all, even if there's a bike lane or path, is much, much clearer.

Really? I'm not aware of a lot of places where getting stopped for a FRAP violation happens much if at all. NYC maybe. I think you're going to be looking for a very long time for an incident where a cyclist got pulled over (let alone actually ticketed) for riding their bicycle over a sharrow that wasn't close to the right margin.

Question for flangehead --do people actually get pulled over for FRAP violations in Houston? I would think practically this is more a question of liability if, heaven forbid, someone is riding on this section of the road and gets hit.

I like sharrows, they're not perfect, but in my experience, they seem to be more effective than any sign.