View Single Post
Old 08-27-22, 03:59 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Intensity riding for older riders (70+)

Use intensity workouts to slow aging and reduce the yearly decrease in VO2max is recommended by various biking articles, and who doesn't want that to happen to themselves.
On the other side, many cardiologists, athletes included, recommend to reduce the intensity for the same age group. Ride but not intensively. Stating that high intensity can cause heart problem such as arrhythmies, AF (atrial fibrillation), and increase of the aeorta. I already have a slight arrhythmia, and an enlarged aeorta.
So how much intensity should I included in my workouts to get the benefit of the reduced aging without risking any future heart problems.
Considering the above, I have reduced the intensity of my interval workouts, and increased the length. My shortest intervals are 4min X2 rec. I have also reduced my average and MaxHR for the intervals. However, the above intervals are still intensive.
So, my dilemma is whether I should continue doing these intervals as I get older or ride my routes, which many of them included a lot of climbing, but I can control the intensity which is harder to do once I am committed to do a series of intervals.
Any view on this matter is appreciated.