View Single Post
Old 03-02-22, 09:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Like you, I don't care what others choose to wear - if it works for you, it works for you. Like you, I find it obnoxious to be told that my perceptions and experiences are wrong. What's doubly obnoxious in this case, is being told that by people who likely have limited common experience.

You find cotton comfortable - great. Everybody here has worn cotton shirts - we can make an informed decision to agree or disagree.

When it comes to opinions on good technical fabrics, which aren't as ubiquitous or accessible as cotton, I think that it's fair that people qualify their opinion. You find polyester uncomfortable and it sounds as if that's been the case for a long time. Fair enough... but with the strides in high-end technical fabrics in the last decade or so, are you really in a position to comment on their characteristics and your disposition towards them? This stuff ain't grandpa's, or even dad's, polyester.
I think I just did that, didn't I? Until you said lycra/spandex, I wasn't aware that's what we were discussing as being "high end", so I clarified that right away as soon as I saw your post.

The point I'm making, if any, is that sensitivities to elastic fabrics are actually quite common, so it's going to be irrational for a lot of people to experiment with such stuff in search of comfort, and I don't think it's doing them any favors to overstate the supposed evils of cotton as if comfort was an objectively measured factor. By its very nature, it has to be subjective.

I'm not telling you that you aren't more comfortable in good technical fabrics. Even if I was familiar with all of the technical specifications, I wouldn't be able to tell you how those fabrics are going to feel to you. I don't doubt your word that you are. I think we should just give people credit for knowing when they are or aren't comfortable as we're never getting better data than their own statements..