View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 04:34 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Nice Dawes. Here's a Super Galaxy at Point Reyes, California.

To the left is my wife's Cannondale comfort bike. I put a beam rack and Topeak trunk and panniers on it and my sons are riding it.

That z-fold pad is just being blown by the wind. I had to put another bungee on it.

When one son was riding the Cannondale, the other would be riding this Trek. At first, I couldn't get my sons into bike touring, but when I described my plan for this tour, they were in, but had no bikes. They had sold their 24"-wheel bikes after outgrowing them and hadn't bought anything since. I picked this up at the last minute and put some Ortlieb panniers on it. It's a Verve 1 with a triple that goes down to 22 gear inches so it worked quite well on the hills. My sons prefer the hybrid/comfort bike style to drop bars or road bikes like my Bianchi. The boys distributed their loads across the two bikes. Because the Cannondale's rack is limited to 15 pounds and it's only a 7-speed limited to 31 gear-inches, it carried art supplies, water, food, toiletries, its spare tubes, extra bike lights and miscellaneous items. Their clothes and sleeping bags, water, tubes and other items were in the Ortliebs on the Trek. Even though the bikes were pretty evened-out, they would trade bikes every half day to change-up saddles and bar positions.

These bikes don't look especially loaded but we spent three days on them and camped two nights. There was nothing about the bikes or our gear that limited us to that, but only other obligations. We carried all our food until we were in San Francisco. Besides my son's digital camera, I carried a film camera and we had everything for drawing and watercolor. I think because we could share items among the three of us, the overall load was less.
Likes For greatbasin: