Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 08-24-21, 05:23 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by tcpasley
Has Velox Jantex Competition 76 tubular gluing tape been changed/upgraded in recent years?

On vendor sites, I often see Velox Jantex Competition 76 tape referred to as "Belgian tape" that "Must be used in conjunction with tubular glue". These sites usually have a picture of a yellow-tan roll of tape. However, the Velox.fr website shows it as looking more like Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape, but with a pink color, and says nothing about it being Belgian tape. Nashbar.com mentions "New formula for 2015" but contradicts itself about the need to use glue with it.

I know about Belgian tape, used for 'cross tubulars (https://cyclocrossworld.com/how-to-g...-belgium-tape/), but Velox Jantex Competition 76 ain't Belgian tape. I'm just curious about all the confusion in the product descriptions, and wonder if I should try to order some from a website that shows the newer pink stuff. Maybe the distributor (QBP?) is giving all the vendors inaccurate product information. Any advice is appreciated.
Jantex did change their packaging and description. They also changed the tape, but I believe it was more the backing strip that was changed to something that tears less when installing. They must have transitioned packaging at some point becuase QBP was sending out tape in two different boxes. This box clearly gives instructions without using glue. The older red box did not. If you want to try a box of this, shoot me PM.