View Single Post
Old 11-25-22, 01:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
...been a supplement skeptic and had the point of view that (no, this is not an infomercial) that they were a complete waste of money/placebo and/or were ultimately unhealthy.
Texas A&M's Veterinary branch did a study on B vitamins. I remember hearing of the study in the 90's and it must not have been nationally published, or failed to get into the Human Medical Journals because I can't find it. Modern day man is commonly beneficent in B complexes and Iron. The study involved testing samples of buried humans over the past 150 years. Anyway... what was interesting was the major incidence of B vitamin deficiency started around 1910 in the USA and is possibly related to the advent of refrigeration of meat. Iron deficiency was noted to have a spike around the 1950's and possibly related to the decrease of fresh vegetables in the common diet. We do know that right before meat "Turns", develops a bitter taste but not spoiled by bacteria, it is full of B vitamins. We also know that fresh vegetables probably have a little more dirt on them when getting to the kitchen. Anyway... Until I find the publication this is all hearsay.

I am no longer a skeptic of vitamin supplementation. For a fact, I have found more and more of my patients with vitamin deficiencies. And, not just the geezers who have lost the enzymes in thier gut necessary to absorb thier food. All ages are experiencing vitamin deficiency. Yes, even people who are fastidious in thier diet. I suspect that it is just the food we are eating for sure. So whats the answer? Well of course Home Grown Food raised and butchered and picked right off the range... Ha.

It has to be supplements. Here is a conservative list that I give my over 50 healthy patients.

Vit C
Omega 3's (fish oil)
Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc Complex
B Complex
Live Lacto Bacillus (butter milk or BioSalude)
So what is the proper dosage... Ha... Who knows? To be sure most of the vitamin supplements we take are just wasted down the toilet. Some days you may need the Calcium, others the Zinc. It varies.

Here is a list I use in my over 60 onset osteoarthritic healthy males
Vit C
Omega 3's (fish oil)
Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc Complex
B Complex
Live Lacto Bacillus
Glucosamine/Chondroitin
Vit D
Niacin
Note: I am not a nutritionist. I am an old retired military PA-C working part time in a rural community Family Practice. Feel free to PM me. I have lots of time...