View Single Post
Old 08-16-21, 10:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Posted a while back. Looking for tubeless wheels for my '06 Specialized Tricross. I live rural and the closest bike shop never has anything available, says they can't get anything in. They're actually selling the shop. I took mstateglfr 's advice and went to prowheelbuilder. Filled out their form. Nothing in over a month or two. Finally called them a few times. Nothing, never can get hold of anyone. I don't know enough to 'build' my own wheels and submit an order. So what it's come down to is compiling a list of wheels and when I see one come up ebay/FB Marketplace/CL I'm jumping on them. Or I can order online too, not against that. Just don't know what to get.

Constraints: Rim brakes. 130 rear hub spacing. 9-speed. Since my last post, I have learned I want wider internal rim diameter (19ID?). I want to run as wide a tire as I can get on this bike. A rough measure of the rear chain stays is 2" so that translates to 50mm. I'd probably try to run a 40mm to be safe. Tubeless - I'm starting to think it needs to be a UST setup. My road bike is constantly seeping air and I know it's the rim tape. I hate rim tape. <$700. The is probably worth half that so cheaper is better.

One good thing about my bike shop: I asked about the Mavic Kysriums (I found those are 19ID). He said they're great wheels until they are not. Prone to cracking at the spokes. So those are possibly out. Anyone know any wheels fit the above conditions? Or any suggestions? I can't believe I'm still looking for wheels.
The pickier you are, the longer you'll be waiting for stuff in this climate.

If it were my bike and the rims were cracked/worn and I wanted to get it rolling again, here's what I'd do. I'd look up the specs for the old rims, particularly the ERD. If I could find a tubeless rim with the same (+/- 1mm) ERD, then the wheelbuilder would not need to source new hubs and spokes. They could just transfer those parts to the new rims, and we could be "rolling" a lot sooner.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498