View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 04:53 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Fun times with the LBSs

Interesting experience in a LBS in southern Florida. Wife and I are here as snowbirds for a couple of months. I brought along a couple of my road bikes. As luck would have it, a spoke on one of them broke day 1. They’re older bikes, and I have always done all my own work on them. So, I brought along my tools as well. The one thing I failed to pack was some replacement spokes. So I looked up a couple of LBSs near me. I called the first one and simply asked if I could buy a single 28cm spoke, and possibly a nipple. The guy said “Why don’t you just bring the bike in and let us check it out. Spokes vary in length.” I said to him that the bike didn’t need “checked out” and that all I need was a spoke and nipple. Again he gave me the “spokes come in varying lengths” line. And again I asked if he had any 28cm spokes. Now getting a little terse attitude, to that he said “Well, I cut and thread all my own spokes. So…” So I asked if he could cut and thread one 28cm for me. To that he responded “Yeah, I’ll sell you a single spoke. But I’m not going to help you make the repair or tell you how.” Thank you. I’ll be there shortly. But then just before hanging up he said “Is that a J-bend or a straight pull?” I told him I needed a J-bend, and he said he only carried straight pull spokes, and that I need to update my bike (???). OK, thanks anyway.

Call to the next shop…
I spoke with a male voice (I’ll explain that in a second). Can you sell me a single 28cm J-bend spoke, and possibly a nipple. “Yes. We’re a bike shop. We can do anything. But you should probably just bring the bike in. Special tools are needed.” I just need the spoke and nipple. I have the tools. “Well, I’m not giving you my knowledge or loaning you tools so you’ll have to do it on your own.” But you can sell me the spoke, right? “Yes. we’re a bike shop.” Great I’ll be there shortly. So I walk into the LBS and I go to speak with the wrench in the shop area. This person is a transgender woman, but I can tell by the voice that it’s the person I spoke with on the phone. Now, I have no issues with transgender people but this person was quite uppity, and/or having a really bad day. Again with the same attitude as the first LBS, and when speaking with her on the phone. So finally she’s cutting and threading the spoke for me. While she’s doing the work, another guy comes in the shop pushing a bike. He stands there for a minute or two and then says to the wrench “Excuse me, sir.” At that she spun around and I though she was going to throw the tool in her hand at him. “Don’t you call me sir! It’s miss or ma’am. Do you understand that?” The guy just stood there silent. She goes back to making my spoke. Another minute or two goes by. Then again the guy says “Excuse me sir.” This time I spun around and said to the guy “Didn’t you understand how she wants to be addressed?” He just shrugged his shoulders. I thought the wrench was going to explode. I paid for my spoke and got outta there. I got home and of course the spoke was the wrong length. Too short. But I wasn’t going back to that LBS. Luckily I found a longer nipple in the bottom of my toolbox so at least it was usable to get the wheel true.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-04-22 at 04:57 PM.
Likes For _ForceD_: