Old 10-06-22, 10:11 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by embankmentlb
25 seems the optimal size for me. I have tried wider but generally do not like the mushiness of the ride, particularly if out of the saddle.
Another factor almost never mentioned is that the wider the tire the more mass. Not your best friend when climbing. I realize that modern technology has reduced wheel and tire weight considerably. It also adds to the complexity.
I am somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to such things. Rim brakes, aluminum 32 spoke handmade wheels, cup and cone bearings are for me. Simple things I can repair and ride! I guess that leaves me in the minority and a bit out of touch. At my age, it’s just fine.
That's me. I regard most of the debate about tire width and other technologies as a tempest in a teapot. Maybe relevant to those that race, but not so much people that don't.

Initially, I rode 28s, because I started on a touring bike and that is what they had. I went to thinner tires (23) as I transitioned to a road bike, and was OK with it. If you asked me, I probably would have guessed there was a small speed benefit, but not much.

What I find interesting is that despite the obvious ride benefits of a larger tire (IMHO, pretty much known for decades), 20 years ago, all of the effort in improving ride was focused on frame materials and geometry. Then, elastic inserts and the like. Not the low lying fruit of larger tires and lower pressures.

Until, that is. we started seeing reports that wider tires were actually faster in most common circumstances. They gained broad acceptance pretty quickly once that was demonstrated.

As for me, the widest tires my bikes will reasonably handle are 25s. And that's fine.