mflacche
Enthusiast

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8, Canyon Pathlite 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zsid
I would love to post an image but I have 2 issues. I am required to post 10 times before I can upload images.

The other issues is that I don’t have a canyon bike. I wanted the Grand Canyon 5 in 2020 but Canyon did not sell the bike in the US back then, so I settled with my current Trek Marlin. I don’t think canyon is as good of a value as it used to be due to the recent price hikes in the last few years.
I think it depends on which Canyon bikes you're looking at, and what brands you're comparing them to.

For my road bike, a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8 with Di2, I talked to every bike shop near me and asked them to show me what they had that was comparable to my Ultimate, in a similar price range, and not one dealer had a strong contender. One "premium" bike store laughed at me when I told them what I was getting for $4600.

For my new Canyon Pathlite 7 (not a mountain bike per say, but definitely a rugged flat bar gravel bike) with basically full-XT appointments, I only paid $1350. Again... try to find a similar bike with similar components for that price. No really, try and let me know.

Currently a Canyon Grand Canyon 5 is selling for $899, and comes with full-Deore components. There is no $899 Trek, Cannondale, Giant, etc. hardtail that comes equipped like that for $899. A quick check on the Trek website revealed that a Marlin 7 is selling for $1030, and falls short on components in many instances, when compared to the Grand Canyon 5. A big issue is the Marlins don't come with 1x12, but 1x10. Also Trek substitutes many Shimano parts with lesser desirable alternatives, like FSA, Bontrager, and KMC. So with Trek you get less for more.

As far as price increases go, I'm seeing the opposite. Now Canyon is offering a newer version of my Ultimate road bike for $600 less than what I paid, but doesn't come with the 4iiii power meter.

I recommend watching the Canyon site, with credit card in-hand. When you see your favorite model go on sale with Flash Free Shipping, pull the trigger!