View Single Post
Old 09-15-22, 10:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5852 Post(s)
Liked 2,692 Times in 1,502 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I've never noticed a difference between the leading & trailing spokes, only between the drive side & non-drive side. A difference in torque between leading & trailing spokes would/should cause wheel rotation. So, it makes sense that the tension in a static state would be equal.
Not a criticism, but simply a jumping off point.

It is entirely possible, and all to easy to build a wheel with tension differences between pulling and trailing spokes.

Naturally, having all pulling spokes having more or less tension than all trailing spokes can't happen. However consider a wheel where pulling spokes are tighter on one flange, and looser on the other.

The wheel as a whole is in static equilibrium, but the flanges are being torqued in opposite directions, with the rigidity of the hub shell preventing them moving to neutral tension.

In this scenario, you'd get tensions similar to the Hi-Lo pattern in the OP's wheel. I can't say for sure about his because he didn't reference pulling or trailing.

FWIW back in the bronze age when I was in retail, someone brought a wheel that he was struggling with because half the spokes ran out of threads. The wheel was so tight the shell couldn't resist the torque, and the Campagnolo logo in the middle was helical.

The secret to a good wheel build lies in the process, wherein you don't introduce uneven tension, except as needed in final truing. Focus on maintaining even LENGTH and the tension takes care of itself. Then, if you prefer, you can use an instrument as a QC device.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-15-22 at 10:26 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: