View Single Post
Old 06-20-22, 11:22 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
I have seen a few of these similar conclusions here, and from my shop perspective... If someone runs a chain beyond 100% wear for an EXTENDED time, it's not uncommon at all to see significant wear on the chain ring (usually not RINGs). This wear will not jive with a new chain (customer gets to decide if they want to replace Chain/Cassette/Crank or have us try to tune it as best as possible with NO replacement parts and limp along as good as possible until there is no other choice). Secondly, yeah, there are numerous Shimano cranksets that are made as a unit. The individual chainrings are not replaceable. The option here is to get any other crankset with the same gear ratios. Upgraded ones will have the ability to change the chainrings. There is no shortage that I have encountered recently with getting any chain rings. Shimano welded cranksets are hit or miss. On an Allez though?