Old 03-13-24, 09:49 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,817 Posts
Mixing and matching ISO and JIS Square Taper BBs

I like to ride Campagnolo 10 speed triple setups (like the feel and mechanisms of Campagnolo and like the range of a triple).

For one of my current bikes, the FD (campagnolo 10 speed triple FD), the FD can't quite get out far enough (with the limit bolt as loose as can go) to shift from the middle to the big ring. If I push the chain a little with my finger, it'll go to the big ring and the cage is positioned nicely for it to stay on the big ring once there, but I just can't get it to shift to the big ring.

I've used the Campagnolo FD alignment tool to make sure the FD cage is straight and high enough, it just doesn't get quite there. Which makes me think that, for whatever reason, the crankset (Campagnolo Centaur Triple) is just a bit too far outside. Since it's a Campagnolo crankset, it's ISO square taper.

I've been using a Centaur 111 mm ISO BB. When the chain is on the little ring, there is plenty of clearance (at least 5 mm) to the chainstay. My thought was to try a BB with a shorter axle. Unfortunately, because square taper is so long out of use (and ISO even moreso - and Italian threaded even more yet), when I go looking for ISO BBs, my 3 choices appear to be 115, 111, and 102. While there is some room between the chain on the inner ring and the frame, dropping down 9 mm looks like it might be too much.

While searching for a BB in the 107 to 109 range, I remembered reading (and looked it up again) that Sheldon Brown had said that because the sloping of ISO and JIS square tapers were different, you could use a JIS BB on a square taper crank and it would push the crank ~4mm out and using a JIS crank on a ISO BB would push it ! 4 mm in.

Has anyone tried this? Would using a 103 mm JIS BB position my ISO crank as if it were on a 107 mm ISO Crank? Also, would there be enough engagement between the crank and the BB that it wouldn't ruin the crank?

What I really wish was there was a FD adapter that would just push the FD out a couple mm from where it is now (Braze-on Mount FD with an adaptor - OmniRacer - because it's a non-braze on frame). IF someone knows of one of those instead, I'd happily do go that route.