Old 08-12-13, 06:40 AM
GrandBob

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I have to disagree with you slightly about clipless. I agree with your points pretty much, but, in my case, clipless is better for my feet. I'm diabetic and this past winter('12/'13) I developed an issue with my second toe on my left foot. It would heal a bit and then get worse or one spot would heal and another would start. I believe it was the clip that was causing pressure on my toe and creating the issue. After I went clipless, this past late May, the toe started to heal at a much more accelerated rate and healed completely. So my reason to go clipless, which has been validated, was to save my feet, not to be in the Tour de France or a racer boy. But again, I do agree with you unless one has a situation such as mine.

BTW, I use MTB shoes on a road bike because I want to be able to walk in the shoes and not ice skate, duck-walk, or destroy the clips in a short period. I also use the SPD SH-56 multi-release cleats rather than the standard SH-55 cleat. The SH-56 cleat is much easier to clip in and out and there are more options for clipping out. In fact, I had to increase the tension from loosest to about the middle for the multi-release cleat.
Just goes to show you that there are many reasons for doing what we do. I used to use clipless pedals but went back to toe clips and they work better for me.