Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by justsaymint
It happens so often I usually forget about it by the time I get home
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
having twice been struck by motor vehicles while bike commuting, my wife already worries enough as it is.
she sure as hell doesn't need to hear about the close calls.
Originally Posted by downtube42
The everyday close encounters don't get a mention. If something was egregious enough to upset me for a while, I'll probably share that with my spouse. She can tell anyway.
Yeah, if there's no malice and no contact, then it's usually pretty quickly forgotten.

Our kid noticed the scrape on my hand where it hit the car. I didn't notice it at the time since I had gloves on. The look I got from my wife told me she didn't want to hear about it. I guess by not correcting her assumption it was cycling related, I implicitly confirmed that fear, even though it could easily have been something stupid I did that was not bike related. Yes, I guess we've come to the unspoken understanding that I just shouldn't bring these things up.

Originally Posted by RoadKill
I had been sharing all my videos of inattentive or aggressive motorists creating potentially hazardous situations on social media with the hopes that at the very least my non-cycling friends would appreciate what cyclists have to deal with and maybe be a little more careful.
<snip>
Long story short, I still don't know if I should share these things with my wife or not.
That's why I'm posting here instead of the same social media my wife is on.

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
She gets a huge check if I get smushed one of these days. She'll be just fine...
That's one of the reasons why I'm a bit blase about my mortality, but I've heard that still isn't going to fill the hole left behind in other peoples' lives.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I grew up just outside Boston, Rode into the city many times, starting when I was about 12. Raced out of Cambridge in my twenties. In my racing/bike shop days, the common expression was "close only counts n horse shoes and hand grenades. We used to joke about maybe wearing a durable metal ring on our left hand to scrape the paint of right-hookers.
Haven't you heard the horror stories from shop teachers? That sounds like a good way to lose a finger.

I've given this a little thought and if I ever do a Kickstarter, I'd try to sell little pieces of carbide or ceramic that could be sewn or attached like rhinestones onto the backs of gloves. They'd be good for getting a paint sample while also distinctively marking a potential hit and run that hooks you, they would help soften up any glass that you're falling into, they've got that very punk look, and they would work well for motorcycle gloves too. On the flipside, if they're only rhinestone size, they would easily get torn off regular textile bicycle gloves sliding on any asphalt surface- though they might fare better on leather motorcycle gloves- and you might not want to wipe a sweaty brow with the back of your hand.