View Single Post
Old 02-21-20, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18441 Post(s)
Liked 15,627 Times in 7,355 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I am sure one of the organizers has an Excel sheet with "What If" functions trying to figure out the optimum amount of riders/fundraisers vs overhead.
I used to volunteer for the planning committee of what is now the second largest MS 150 ride in the country. (The City to Shore.) The employee that was the head of the ride for several years quipped that, in the eyes of the local chapter, the best case scenario would be to have one rider raising the ride's overall fundraising goal.

So many factors go into determining that "sweet spot." You have logistical issues such as how many people the start and finish locations can accommodate. When charity rides were fewer, it was a lot easier to get donations of food and drinks from companies. Not so these days, so that increases costs. The larger the event, the more support services (e.g., ambulances and police protection at some intersections) you are likely going to have to pay for. (The City to Shore has grown from around 1,200 to over 7,000 on a good weekend.) The "hard core for the cause", repeat riders tend to raise far more money per capita. At some point, the incremental benefit of adding more and more riders raising only the minimum becomes counterproductive from a cost and logistical standpoint. I think the minimum for the City to Shore is now $300. (I retired several years ago because there was just too much goofiness with that many people.) On average, the rider raising $300 is going to eat and drink and use porta-potties as much as the rider raising $3,000+.
Likes For indyfabz: