View Single Post
Old 03-21-23, 10:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
No contention there. The usual contention to any new tech is "I don't need no stinking new tech and anyone who does is just a slave to the evil bike industry" usually followed by references to their vast wisdom and how they survived before whatever new tech arrived. Then for good measure topped of with a list of reasons why the new tech is obviously inferior to whatever it replaced and pros are only using it because they are paid to do so. etc.
Right, point I was making was that I would present my preference in such a way as to make it clear that I wasn't intending to contend with anyone else's, and then someone would try to argue with my admittedly completely subjective matter of taste.

I think a lot of the contention here is when people see "I like x" or "I don't like x", they automatically hear a declaration of war on their own preferences.

I will say that I see a lot of people referring to what pros do and use in contexts that are completely alien to the way pros ride. When I get 35 years younger and have an entirely different body type, I'll give a rat's butt what they do.
Likes For livedarklions: