Old 09-02-16, 08:29 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Lateral tire tread "wobble" on Clement MSO tubeless

I recently got a bike with Clement MSO tubeless 36mm tires. The tires both have a bit of lateral "wobble" meaning that if you look directly down at the tread, it wanders side to side as the wheel rotates. One tire in particular wobbles at least an eighth of an inch laterally. The beads on both tires are properly seated and all bead lines are straight all around the wheel at the rims, this is not a mounting issue. It looks like a manufacturing issue. The tires ARE round and the wobble doesn't affect the ride even at high speeds on pavement.

As I purchased these tires online and have set them up tubeless with sealant, it would be a real pain to try to get them returned. Also, since the tires actually roll just fine I don't really want to mess with them unless I have to. However, watching these things wobble around as I ride is disconcerting. I feel like for $130 for the set I shouldn't have to be dealing with this. Simply ditching and replacing the tires in an expensive solution.

I see a thread here:
Getting Rolling: Clement MSO 36mm Tubeless Tires -
where several people have had this same issue with these specific tires.

Also, here's another thread where someone had the same problem with similar Clement USH tires:
https://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.c.../tires-6565035

At this point, I'd call it a trend. Clement needs to get their quality control act together. I might reach out to them and see what they say. It's a shame because these are really nice tires for gravel bikes: durable, fast rolling even on pavement, grippy, comfortable and cool looking.

So, tip for these tires: set them up tubed first. If they wobble, send them back.

Last edited by Hiro11; 09-02-16 at 08:35 PM.