Old 08-06-16, 07:31 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Over 50 with modern road bikes?

Here's a question that might have been asked before, or maybe not...

Since we are all over 50 in this forum, do any of you have a current, high tech, carbon frame, road bike? Or are some of you like me, and keep things simple, C&V, and a little "old school" style?

I'm not acting all funny towards the latest, greatest, Cannondale/Specialized/Cervelo/Trek/whatever flavor/etc... I mean, I have ridden a few in a LBS, and to be honest and with sort of a confession: They scared the $*#& out of me! Way too quick, too snappy and twitchy, and most importantly - I felt like I was going to topple over the handlebars!

Can an older guy actually comfortably ride a race style bike like that? I just know that at 55, 6'0" and 212 lbs, I would be a nervous wreck riding a $5000 CF road bike with all the bells and whistles. It might break in two under my weight! Maybe that was an idiotic statement, maybe not...

I see the "younger crowd" with the high tech road bikes, all decked out in a full kit, and they're out there hauling butt. That's cool... Have a great time, dude... I'll catch up to you eventually...

My main question: Is there anything wrong with keeping things "old school"? I don't see myself parting ways with my C&V '85 Fuji road bike. Granted, yes, it's 31 years old, quad butted steel tubing, downtube shifters, etc... but it is built solid and will just keep on keepin' on.
Likes For ButchA: