Old 04-08-22, 11:37 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
The thing is, I already have my grail! So why do I want "another one?" And why do I want one that would be somewhat "less" than what I already have? Maybe I'm having a mid-life crisis.
The thing is that C&V bikes aren't about practicality. It isn't like you just need a vehicle to get you from point A to point B and the one you have satisfies that need. You don't usually need anything with a classic bike. You just enjoy it -- enjoy riding it, enjoy looking at it, enjoy thinking about it. It's like art that has a tangible use. If you had a really great painting in your house, does that mean you don't want another one? That depends on your wall space and your budget. The Louvre has the Mona Lisa. Why do they need other paintings?

You're in relatively good shape because you have a specific bike you're thinking about. A lot of us here seem to have gone through (or are going through) a phase where we have a lot of garage space and a bit of money to just explore and see what's out there. The kind of grail bikes you're talking about are expensive enough that you aren't likely to buy one on a whim, but you can get some really nice bikes for a couple of hundred dollars and many of us are people of a certain age who have reached the point financially where we can spend a couple of hundred dollars a few times a year without it causing problems for us. A friend of mine likes to say, "It's cheaper than hookers and blow."

I keep telling myself that I'm near the point where I'll stop buying more bikes. I've filled all the hooks in my garage, and now whenever I want another bike I have to decide on one I'm willing to get rid of. That's what I tell myself, but last week I put one of my lesser frames in the attic space above the garage. There's a lot of empty space up there.