View Single Post
Old 04-08-22, 11:43 AM
Gary12000 

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Inter, '98 Tommasini, '83 Trek 500, 83 Trek 720 '

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 110 Posts
So i think we hanker to re-create our youth and in that way it can be what we actually owned and enjoyed or what we aspired to own at that period in time.. for me its the same with cars and stereo equipment and guitars...
so compared to those other hobbies vintage bike collecting or quality bike collecting is the lesser financial version of all of those, couple that with the facvt i actually ride the bikes i find or buy makes it all the more enjoyable, also with some small mechanical ability, i can fix or make better or restore what i find, i have started to call it rescuing bikes...and mostly for me its about the hunt, the research, the craftsmanship, the beauty, and every once in a while i'm able to make a couple bucks to partially fund my hobby.

my longstanding wish is a Raleigh Chopper Mk1 in red with a 3 speed sturmey archer gear, its what i got for Christmas when i was 10, however i cant bring myself to pay the silly prices when one pops up and they are pretty much un-ridable as an adult.

The list of bikes i want is endless... but i tell myself one has to go when i buy one, so right now i have a very nice 90's Trek 520 that is yet to be advertised and ... as i just picked up a keeper, i think i'm going to try to sell the Tommassini to make some wall space its a 1998 ... just hadn't gotten around to putting them on here yet.