Thread: Shifter worries
View Single Post
Old 11-30-22, 10:25 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Not sure what bike you have, but your cable routing must have some really tight bends for it to be breaking twice a year on you.
It has nothing to do with cable routing. The cable frays and breaks inside the shifter. It has to do with the way the shifter is designed wrapping the cable in a tight circle inside the shifter.

I presume if you haven't had this problem in the miles you say, you probably ride mostly flat areas where you aren't doing a lot of shifting.

Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe there was certain run of shifters in the past that this was a problem and it was addressed on newer models? A quick google search indicates this inherent issue you describe was on Shimano 5700 series shifters. My bike and her bike have Shimano 105 R7025 and R7020 shifters.
The problem is actually worse on newer Shimano shifters. Once they went to under the handlebar shifter cable routing, they had to redesign the shifter to make it wrap the cable tighter

And it wasn't a certain run or lot. Multiple generations of STI shifters have this problem from the 5700/6700/7900 generation and forward. I experienced it on both my 6800 rim brake shifters and on my 5800 hydraulic disc brake shifters. Different bikes. And I have seen others have the problem as well with different bikes.
Likes For Lombard: