Old 07-20-21, 01:05 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I'm always skeptical when doctors recommend Gabapentin. There's no evidence that it works for generalized pain, headaches, or even most nerve pain other than nerve pain related to shingles and one or two other causes.

The main reason docs and nurse practitioners suggest Gabapentin is as a placebo, and because their hands are tied regarding most prescription pain relievers. They used to offer hydrocodone or Tramadol for 2-4 weeks to relieve most chronic pain that didn't respond to NSAIDs. But no more. I doubt the docs actually believe Gabapentin works but they don't have many options if they want to keep their license and avoid being prosecuted for prescribing opiates.

If you want to try something else, consider GABA, the amino acid that's chemically related to Gabapentin. It's not a substitute for Gabapentin, but has similar action on a limited number of symptoms. I find it helps in pretty much the same way as my prescription muscle relaxers. The problem is that large doses of GABA tend to make me feel sluggish, pretty much the same as prescription muscle relaxers. So if I take the 500 mg capsules of GABA, I can pretty well write off the next day for anything other than an easy walk. Usually I'll pry open the capsule and sprinkle about 1/4 of the contents into a protein shake.

I also got a TENS unit a few weeks ago. It's much better than the last home TENS unit I got about 10-15 years ago. This little thing works as well as the commercial grade TENS units used by some chiropractors. I have to be careful with it, though. It doesn't produce a stinging or pinprick sensation like the old home TENS unit I had. As the setting is cranked up it can really contract and relax the muscles. I overdid it a few weeks ago on my neck and shoulder. Within a day or two the muscles were sore like I'd been lifting weights.

At lower settings I suspect all the TENS unit does is to mask pain, or stimulate the body to produce natural pain relieving chemicals. The relief lasts for 1-4 hours for most folks. While that doesn't sound like much, it beats Gabapentin for me, without the side effects of feeling sluggish the next day.