Old 12-17-12, 05:48 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
What do you do with a 27" Sturmey AW wheel, and a LeTour frame?

Convert it! I bought this Schwinn from a flea market, complete, but with rotten steel rims and cheap-o components. I put a set of alloy wheels on it, with a new Shimano Tourney set of derailers and a MTB triple and intended to ride it like that, but it had a really obnoxious tick that I could never find, and couldn't eradicate, so it got stripped to the frame and abandoned in the shed.

So I post about wanting to get a 3 speed hub for my Super Course project, and MParker was kind enough to trade me this AW laced into a 40 hole CR18, with cable, pulley, cable stop, and shifter for a nearly-new B17N that I couldn't ride (can you say a$$ hatchet?), and I spent the weekend building it up. Apart from not snugging the wheel in enough and having it slide slightly on my way to work (causing it to rub on the fender and driving me insane in the process), it works flawlessly and will probably become my favorite go-to bike for cruising about town.

BTW, gearing is 52X20, giving me almost exactly 70 gear inches in 2nd (70.4, I think). It's a really nice spread, and I'm a fan of the way it rolls, although with drops, I could use another gear between 2 and 3.