Old 12-02-20, 01:26 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Wow, this thread is chock full of information, lots of good info! Definitely one of the best discussions on this subject I have ever come across.

Thanks especially to Doug Fattic for chiming in with such a clear explanation of generating complete bike frame alignment!

At one time, I modified a crankarm by extending it and adding a bent-wire indicator. I decided that (with my inability to confirm the accuracy of both the threaded bores and faces of the bb shell) I should only reference off of my as-installed, symmetrical 112mm bottom bracket spindle.
This was when I was developing my Pedersen race bike, on which I had to move everything around quite a bit, starting with spreading from 114mm to 130mm, increasing rear tire clearances, aligning seat tubes and then the front end. I would eventually break it in a couple of places while racing, but left repairs to professionals like Hugh Enox and Steve Rex. It still rides straight today.

Last edited by dddd; 12-02-20 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For dddd: