Old 02-16-21, 04:39 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by barnfind
That won't happen around here. People flat out refuse to pay for labor and they want a lifetime warranty on everything they buy. .
Wow. I'm not sure where you are located, but that sucks.

I'm in northern NJ where most buyers are looking for a decent road bike to enjoy, vintage or not. The ones I sell are in very good condition, road ready, and should provide years of use with minimal upkeep. They don't actually pay for my labor, although its part of the price.. The bikes I sell seem to compare favorably in cost with whatever is available in new bicycles, and are in much better shape than the beaters commonly sold as used.

Luckily, the market is pretty strong locally, and I've had a fair number of people drive out the 45 minutes to an hour from NYC to get a bike. I tell everyone who buys one, if they get home and find something substantially wrong with the bike, bring it back for a refund. Nobody has yet.

I enjoy taking a bike which is essentially good but has some issues, and investing the time and effort to put it back in use. Very satisfying. My least favorite flipper candidates are bikes that are in excellent shape that I purchase low and sell high with no work in them at all. I like elevating these bikes, not merely acting as a broker.
Likes For kross57: